Class #10 (Feb. 7) Reading Questions - The Dark Side of the Universe
1. Give four problems with the "Cold Dark Matter (CDM) scenario" for the evolution of the universe.
2. What is MOND and what "fix" does this theory make to Newton's Law of gravity? Is MOND compatible with Einstein's theory of general relativity (i.e., the Einstein model for gravity)?
3. What observations, usually attributed to the presence of dark matter, CAN be explained by the MOND approach?
4. What observations, usually attributed to the presence of dark matter, CAN NOT be explained by the MOND approach?
5. Describe one of the experimental efforts currently underway to directly detect a WIMP. In particular, explain the WIMP-matter interaction being searched for and how a detector will be able to identify that such an interaction has taken place.
6. Explain what is meant by the "WIMP wind" and how this could be used to confirm (or falsify) the hypothesis that the Milky Way sits in a dark matter halo composed of WIMPS.
Your Question: Please give a well formulated question that you have regarding the material covered in this reading assignment.